PODCAST HALL

HOW WARS END, PRI's The World

« Older   Newer »
Ruitor2
view post Posted on 4/10/2009, 04:09

HOW WARS END

PRI's The World

The war in Iraq has now lasted more than five years. "Tell me how this ends," General David Petraeus said famously early on in the conflict.
In her five-part series The World's Jeb Sharp is looking at how wars end. They don't end quite the way we imagine they do. And sometimes they don't end at all. She looks to the past for some clues.
Series editor: Patrick Cox
Online production: Michael Rass
Winner of the 2008 Lowell Thomas Award of the Overseas Press Club for best radio news or interpretation of international affairs.

Part One
For the launch of our series, The World's Lisa Mullins talked with Jeb Sharp about 'How wars end'. Listen to the interview and the introductory part:
Trascrizione (solo della seconda parte)
Audio

Part Two
In part two, Jeb Sharp is looking at the American Civil War and what lessons can be drawn from the surrender at Appomattox and its aftermath.
Trascrizione
Audio

Part Three
In part three, Jeb Sharp looks at World War I. Ten million soldiers died and whole empires disintegrated. At the end, the winners carved up the spoils. There are lessons in that ending, but not necessarily the ones we've been taught.
Trascrizione
Audio

Part Four
The 1991 Gulf War unfolded almost without a hitch and unlike Vietnam, the ending seemed clean. It didn't take long for that image to unravel, though, as Jeb Sharp explains in part four of our series.
Audio
Trascrizione

Part Five
The World's Jeb Sharp presents the last segment in the series, How Wars End, with a look at the end of the Bosnian War in 1995.
Audio
Trascrizione

Edited by Ruitor2 - 22/3/2011, 06:45

Ruitor2
view post Posted on 10/10/2009, 06:02

Inseriti tutti i file audio e le trascrizioni della trasmissione.

Ruitor2
view post Posted on 17/12/2010, 16:09

Link funzionanti.

2 replies since 4/10/2009, 04:09   111 views